Tuesday 12 October 2010

R.I.P. LONG EATON STADIUM

It finally looks like the end of the Long Eaton Stadium saga. Detailed planning consent has been given for housing to use most of the site with an area of open space next to Brooklands School. The move has been hailed as a victory by some and a loss by others.
I personally am saddened that a part of Long Eaton history and a nationally known facility has now gone. It needed a friendly purchaser to take the site or Erewash Council to buy it in order to secure it all for the Town.
When I was a lad in Nottingham the only reason I had heard of Long Eaton was because of the Stadium. My first visit there was to the Bomber Racing, is was great fun. I had seen nothing like it before. The noise, the excitement, the atmosphere, it was electric. It enabled people to let off steam and share an event which was memorable and significant. The second time I went it was to see the Speedway. More classy than Bomber Racing with a fanatical following of all ages. Exhilarating, great to watch with an international dimension which it is hard to see Long Eaton ever getting back.
RIP Long Eaton Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment