Saturday 19 March 2011

THE GAVEL'S GONE DOWN


COUNCILLOR BRENDA WHITE

Erewash Councillor Brenda White is standing down in May to spend more time relaxing at home. A generous hearted lady with a fondness for baking, cricket, "the Goons" and a love of cats. 
Brenda has seen the ups and downs of politics and has remained staunch. A former Mayor of Erewash and long standing member of the Labour Party, Brenda will be missed on the Council.
Below are a few lines written by Brenda who writes poetry on a regular basis.

THE GAVEL'S GONE DOWN 

For a while,
there have been too many candles on my cake.
It's time to make the break
and spend more time with my cat.
I've seen them all come and go.
Inspired by aspiration, and vacuous ideas.
All wind and wonder that always ends in tears.
But the strong spine of solid principles
guides the rest on the journey into politics.
Who do their best and we know who they are.
Time to recycle all those reports, fill the green bags, then
into the shredder, never more to be seen.
I have realised that the toilet rolls I buy
are made from recycled paper.
Now there's a thought. A bargain bought.
I always knew I'd find a use for them.
I rest my case.


BRENDA WHITE, MARCH 2011.

Just keep smiling Brenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment